About Providence, Divine Action and the Church


In this blog, Terry J. Wright posts thoughts and shares research on the Christian doctrine of providence. This doctrine testifies to God’s provision for all things through creation’s high priest, the man Christ Jesus. However, the precise meaning and manner of this provision is a perpetually open question, and this blog is a forum for discussion of the many issues relating to providence and the place of the Church within God’s action.

Tuesday 14 December 2010

Transforming Capitalism

My friend Jon (whose blog is well worth reading) has just brought my attention to Peter Heslam's Transforming Capitalism: Entrepreneurship and the Renewal of Thrift (Cambridge: Grove Books, 2010). I'm a great fan of Grove Books, but don't really browse the website's section on ethics. I'm a systematician, so I don't have any time for ethics, really. (Joke!) Anyway, Jon thought that this book might catch my interest and he's right. Here's the blurb from the Grove Books website:

Faith and enterprise are often seen as irreconcilable, as impossible to mix as oil and water. And yet they share deep roots when considered in the context of God’s project to transform the world by his presence.

This penetrating study touches on theological, ethical and practical issues, and includes case studies that point to a positive future for transforming capitalism.
Economics is something that I've been meaning to look at for some time: partly because I'm not very good at all with my finances (read: self-control is almost non-existent), and partly because issues of finance are so pervasive and the Church (and those who constitute it) surely must comment. What interests me particularly, though, is this segment of the blurb: when considered in the context of God's project to transform the world by his presence. This is almost a very short paraphrase of my doctoral thesis, so I'm very interested to know what links Heslam makes between economics and providence.

I hope to obtain Transforming Capitalism soon and aim to post a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.